|Click Images to Enlarge
|1887 Peck & Snyder Billheads - E.G. Koenig, Newark, NJ
E..G Koenig was a large sporting good retailer in the late 19th century.
(also includes P&S receipt from 1876)
Founded in 1866 by Andrew Peck and Irving Snyder, Peck & Snyder Sporting Goods, was instrumental in the growth in popularity of sports in the United
States. Based in New York, Peck & Snyder is perhaps best known for introducing the first baseball cards in 1869. Shortly thereafter, in 1875, Peck &
Snyder produced one of the first sporting goods catalogs entitled "Peck & Snyder: Price List of Out & Indoor Sports & Pastimes." The company was also
instumental in compiling and disseminating rule books for sports that soon became obsessions for the American people. Peck & Snyder continued to sell
sporting goods until 1894 when they were purchased by A.G. Spalding & Brothers.